Titling or moving a mobile home

The Treasurer’s Office handles title transfers (ownership change) and issues moving permits for mobile homes. Taxes on mobile homes are assessed through the Department of Equalization. In South Dakota buyers have 45 days from the date of purchase of mobile home to transfer the title into their name

Titling requires providing a valid South Dakota driver’s license or ID for each owner. If an owner has an out of state driver’s license or ID then a clear copy of their social security card, or other acceptable proof, will be required. Businesses must provide their FEIN #. If there are multiple owners both may need to sign the documents depending on how the names are connected.

Documents required to title a mobile home in South Dakota

Certificate of title or Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin for new mobile homes

South Dakota Motor Vehicle and Boat Title Application (MV-1001)

Driver’s License or State Issued ID for all owners

        Proof of Social Security Number is required with an out of state Driver’s License or ID

Purchase agreement or valid bill of sale (if title is not already in your name)

Additional documents may be needed based on the individual transaction. Any cross outs, white out, or other alterations to documents may void them or require an affidavit for correction. Please see the below FAQ for more information on the above documents.

Mobile home is moving physical location

Before a moving permit is able to be issued by the Treasurer’s Office you must first go to the Planning and Zoning department. They will give you a paper that you must bring to the Treasurer’s Office when applying for the moving permit.

Anytime a mobile home is being moved a moving permit must be issued. The applicant must be the owner of the home, or have written authorization from the owner. If it is newly purchased and is being moved before the title is being transferred the valid bill of sale will be required.

In order for a moving permit to be issued all property taxes that have been assessed must be paid. If the mobile home is moving out of a different county, you will need to pay the assessed taxes at that county and obtain a Mobile Home Tax Affidavit showing the taxes have been paid.

South Dakota collects taxes a year in arrears (2023 taxes are collected in 2024), so the previous year and current year taxes will need to be paid before the moving permit may be issued. If the mobile home will be moving after November 1st additional taxes may be required for a moving permit.


Title transfer $10.00

Excise tax 4% (see below)

Moving permit $15.00 (cash, cashier’s check, or money order only)

Property taxes (see below)

Processing through the mail

If processing through the mail all documents will need to be mailed to our office. Paperwork mailed in is receipted in and worked in the order it is received- not necessarily on the day it arrives from your chosen carrier. Expect up to two weeks plus processing time. If additional documents are needed and mailed in, they will follow the normal mail process. Requests to the contrary are subject to Administrative fees.

It is the sender’s responsibility to follow up on processing to avoid interest and penalties. Title work starts accruing interest if not completed 45 days from your purchase date. We do not go by when the paperwork is mailed/received in our office. You are responsible to have all documents in and paid for. You are strongly encouraged to mail in advance to avoid penalties.

Once your paperwork has been reviewed you will be contacted for payment or for any missing documents. Please include valid contact information with your paperwork. A $3.00 long distance call fee may be applicable. We will reach out via email if an email address is given- watch your junk or spam folder so you don’t miss any correspondence regarding your transaction.

Transactions done through the mail will be charged a $25.00 administrative fee.

Payment options

Our system is not setup to take prepaid debit cards, gift cards or loaded employee payroll cards.

Checks, Money Orders, and Cashier’s Checks should be made payable to Pennington County Treasurer.

      No counter, starter, PMB, or out of state checks will be accepted.


Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover cards are accepted and subject to a 2.49% service charge. The issued card holder must be present with valid ID for the card to be accepted.

Additional Information

Expedited service can be requested for a $25.00 administrative fee. Please address your package with Attn: EXPEDITE, state you are paying for an expedite on your cover letter, and include payment for the $25.00 fee. If additional documents are needed and mailed in, they will follow the normal mail process unless they are also marked expedite and include the expedite fee for the new documents.

To obtain a quote prior to sending in your paperwork please give us a call at 605-394-2163. All quotes are considered estimates and are based off the information provided to us.

If you have additional questions not answered here please call our office at 605-394-2163 from 8:00am – 11:00am and 1:00pm – 4:30pm MDT Monday through Thursday or send us a message through our Contact Us page.


Frequently Asked Questions

How to fill out the Motor Vehicle and Boat Title Application

Is a title required in South Dakota?

What is required for a valid purchase agreement or bill of sale?

How is the 4% excise tax calculated?

My mobile home has been permanently affixed to a foundation, or the mobile home is no longer permanently affixed to a foundation, what do I need to do?

Property taxes on Mobile Homes