Selling a Vehicle

When selling a vehicle, you will need to complete a bill of sale and an odometer disclosure statement if the vehicle\motorcycle is less than 20 years old. The back of a South Dakota title has spaces for all the required information, or separate forms may be filled out.

A report of sale will need to be filled out and submitted when a vehicle is sold. Older South Dakota titles have a tear off slip on the bottom of the title that may be turned in, or a Seller’s Report of Sale may be filled out and submitted. Alternatively, if the owner has a South Dakota driver’s license or ID the sale may be report on the SDCars Online Portal.

In South Dakota plates stay with the owner, not the vehicle. The plates should be removed from the vehicle when it is sold. If the vehicle was sold privately the seller may obtain a Seller’s Permit which allows the new owner to drive legally while waiting to apply for title. The permit is good for 45 days and may be obtained by the seller through our office or on the SDCars Online Portal.


Frequently Asked Questions

I am selling my vehicle but I can’t find my title

What makes a valid bill of sale?

When is an odometer required?

Can I get a refund on my registration after I’ve sold my vehicle?