24-7 Program

Law Enforcement Division - 24-7 Program

<< Law Enforcement Division Home

The 24-7 Program is located at 111 New York St. Rapid City, SD.

Our telephone number is 605-716-7366. 

Testing Hours for Urinalysis Tests are 6:00am- 7:30am and 6:00pm – 7:30pm.

Testing Hours for PBT’s are 6:00am- 8:00am and 6:00pm – 8:00pm.

The Pennington County 24-7 Sobriety Program began in February of 2005. This program is an alternative to jail and serves as an alternative sentencing option for the court.

The program is used as a bond condition, sentence condition, or as part of probation or parole. The program may also be used as a tool for the Department of Social Services for child custody issues.

The length of time spent testing with the program is determined by the Judges, Court Services officers and Parole agents on a case by case basis. In addition to the breathalyzers (PBTs) some participants can be required to submit to a urinalysis (UAs) test. Participants are charged $1 per PBT test and $10 per UA test. If an alternative to PBTs is deemed necessary by the courts, the SCRAM (Secure Continuous Remote Alcohol Monitor) bracelet may be assigned. This is a device strapped to the subject’s ankle and is worn 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The bracelet takes a periodic sample from the vapor that migrates through the skin as perspiration. SCRAM costs participants $6 per day.

In the event that a person tests positive in the program or does not show up for their required tests, a Pennington County Deputy Sheriff may respond to the testing location and take them into custody or a warrant may be issued for their arrest.

In 2018, the average number of daily participants was 519, this includes breathalyzers, urine analysis, alcohol monitoring devices (SCRAM bracelets), and drug patches.  Approximately 44% of 24-7 participants were DUI offenders.  The other 56% were participating for drug related charges, simple assault and a variety of other offenses where drugs or alcohol were a factor.

In 2018, the Pennington County 24-7 Sobriety Program administered 142,102 breathalyzers (pass rate of 99.68%) and 42,703 urinalysis tests (99.11% pass rate).

For additional information on the 24-7 program go to https://atg.sd.gov/legal/DUI247/statistics.aspx.