FAQ- Motor Vehicle Title & License

In South Dakota titling a vehicle requires providing a valid South Dakota driver’s license or ID for each owner or a clear photo copy of proof of your social security number AND a valid out of state driver’s license or ID. Businesses must provide their FEIN #.

The original paper title is required to title in South Dakota. For more information on titling a vehicle\motorcycle\trailer\watercraft\ATV\off-road\snowmobile, including required documents, see the below FAQ.

Know your county- if you live in Box Elder your physical address could be either Pennington County or Meade County. South Dakota residents must register their vehicles in the county they reside.


Frequently Asked Questions

Titling a newly purchased motor vehicle\motorcycletrailer\RVwatercraftATV\off-road or snowmobile

Transferring an out of state title already in my name to South Dakota

Import vehicle requirements

Adding or removing a name from a title

Title\plates\decals have been lost or stolen

Titling or moving a mobile home

Renewing vehicle registrations

Disabled person parking permits and plates

Selling a vehicle