The Treasurer’s Office titles and licensed all new and used motor vehicles, motorcycles, trailers, snowmobile, boats, ATV’S and commercial vehicles in Pennington County. It also releases and notates motor vehicle liens and assists taxpayers in applying for duplicate titles. All portable handicap permits are issued through this office with the correct form and doctor verification forms. Administrative fees may apply contact the Treasurer’s Office at 605-394-2163.
- All mobile homes are assessed for taxes through the Equalization Office (please call 605-394-2175 for more information about your assessment).
- All county taxes are collected at the Treasurer's Office.
- Registration is on a staggered licensing system based on the first letter of the owner’s last name (see the table below for more information).
- Vehicle owners must provide either the South Dakota driver’s license number or Social Security number of all registered owners on the title before the license may be renewed (FEIN # for businesses).
- Registrations cannot be renewed by anyone other than the owner without written authorization from the owner. Authorization forms are available at the Treasurer's Office click on the following link Authorization Form. Please call 605-394-2163 for instructions.
- South Dakota residents have 45 days from the date of purchase of a new or used motor vehicle to transfer title into their name. A penalty of $1 per week up to 26 weeks will be assessed for late transfers. The penalty for a transfer after 26 weeks is $50. In addition, interest and penalties will apply to the 4% motor vehicle excise tax once the 45 days has lapsed with additional interest due on the 60th day after purchase.
- Titling requires providing a South Dakota driver's license or a social security card and an out of state driver's license. Businesses must provide their FEIN#.
- In lieu of sales and use taxes, a 4% excise tax is imposed on most motor vehicle transactions (except boats) unless exempt. The excise tax is based on the purchase price of the motor vehicle listed on the bill of sale, purchase order, sales contract, state reference or NADA. Credit is given tor trade-ins to licensed dealers.
- Refer to the table below to determine which month your vehicle licenses will expire and to the state's website sdcars.org for additional state information.
|Month||First Letter of Last Name|
|February||C, D, E|
|March||F, G, J|
|May||H, I, O|
|August||P, Q, R|
|November||T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z|
Renewal Payment Options
Self-Service Terminal (SST):
- County Administration Building - 130 Kansas City Street (24 hours a day, 365 days a year)
- Rushmore Mall - 2200 N. Maple Ave. (available during regular mall hours)
Both terminals can be used to renew ANY county registration across South Dakota.
Access to the terminals is fast and efficient. The touch screen prompts will walk you through the entire process. The terminal can only be used by individuals who possess a valid South Dakota driver’s license or South Dakota identification card and are the owner listed on the title of the vehicle.
On Line Renewals: You can also renew vehicle licenses online at the South Dakota State website. Visit www.sdcars.org and click on "Renew Now" option. By using this option you can renew a vehicle without leaving the comfort of your home. However, if you need to change your address for a vehicle you must renew it through your County Treasurer’s Office. When renewing online you must renew at least 10 days prior to the expiration date of the vehicle. For additional information please visit www.sdcars.org.
All other payments must be made payable to: Pennington County Treasurer
By Mail: PO Box 6160 Rapid City, SD 57709. We accept cashier’s checks, money orders or personal checks. IF YOU DO NOT RESIDE in Pennington County, you must provide a cashier’s check or money order. Checks with a personal mailbox (PMB) address are not accepted. You must enclose appropriate postage/handling fee as shown on the front of the license renewal card you received by mail. Allow two (2) weeks for processing.
In Person: 130 Kansas City Street, Rapid City, SD 57701. We accept cash, personal checks, cashier’s checks and money orders. You must present a state-issued ID containing both a picture and a signature and provide a valid phone number. No counter checks, starter checks or two party checks. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Amex, and Discover. Fees are variable and are added to your transaction.
By Phone: We accept Visa, Master Card and Discover. No debit cards are accepted over the phone. Fees are variable and are added to your transaction. Please call our Customer Service Department before 4:30 MST at 605-394-2163. No credit card transactions over the phone will be accepted after that time. Please have your vehicle information and credit card available before you call.
No out-of-state checks or counter checks accepted. Send cashier's check or money order for vehicles. Please call our customer service department at 605-394-2163 for details.
Note: When you provide a check as payment, you authorize Pennington County to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account. Funds may be withdrawn from your account the same day we receive your payment. You will not receive your check back from your financial institution.